There is an article circling around. It starts out well but in the end fills me with sadness. Specifically the last two paragraphs,
First, let me give you a complete list of all the things I don’t like or understand. Ready?
Like I am going to type out a list of my personal questions! I would never do that. Why? Because my questions might become your stumbling blocks — just as your questions could become my stumbling blocks.
That is why we discuss things that build faith — not create doubt. What kind of brother would try and destroy my faith by planting seeds of doubt? Exactly! THAT kind of brother.
If we never discuss what we don’t understand we will never learn. The questions we have others will also have. We each have integrity and personal strength to not let inconsequential things become stumbling blocks. If they are important stumbling blocks, then we should be tripped.
When we only share our joy and not our pain we are building walls. We are keeping a distance from the ones we love the most because of fear that we won’t be understood. We are telling our family and friends we don’t trust them with our complete truth.
Teachings that say we should only build faith and not doubt leave people feeling inferior, alone, and in pain. We are told to bear each others burdens, not hide them. I question the motives of any institution that tells someone to only look at faith promoting material. What are they censoring and why?
Relationships that only share the good dwindle away. It is only through our weaknesses that we find strength, heart, and
purity of a person. This makes our friendships and family stronger.
- Cherish your doubts, for doubt is the attendant of truth.
- Doubt is the key to the door of knowledge; it is the servant of discovery.
- A belief which may not be questioned binds us to error, for there is incompleteness and imperfection in every belief.
- Doubt is the touchstone of truth; it is an acid which eats away the false.
- Let no one fear for the truth, that doubt may consume it; for doubt is a testing of belief.
- The truth stands boldly and unafraid; it is not shaken by the testing;
- For truth, if it be truth, arises from each testing stronger, more secure.
- Those that would silence doubt are filled with fear; their houses are built on shifting sands.
- But those who fear not doubt, and know its use; are founded on rock.
- They shall walk in the light of growing knowledge; the work of their hands shall endure.
- Therefore let us not fear doubt, but let us rejoice in its help:
- It is to the wise as a staff to the blind; doubt is the attendant of truth.
Robert T. Weston